Before the seminar, we arranged “Technologies from Science Park” Show Case – Incubatees’ Technology Solution.
Our Incubation Program team
(Left: I, Mr. Peter Mok (Head of Incubation Program), Mr. Antony Chan (Manager) and Mr. Gallen Leung (Assistant Manager))
We took a photo with our guest speaker Dr. Nigel Croft (Chairman, ISO Technical Subcommittee on Quality Systems (ISO/TC176/SC2)).
(Left: I, Mr. Peter Mok, Dr. Nigel Croft, Mr. Antony Chan and Mr. Bryan Peng (Assistant Director, HKQAA))
HKSQ exco members supported the show cases and seminar.
(Left: Ms. Angela Wong (Vice Chairman), I, Mr. Simon Tong (Coop Member) and Mr. Karson Chui (Former Chairman))
Before seminar start, I visited Vitargent (International) Biotechnology Limited and took a photo for memory.
(HKSTPC supports Vitargent to achieve laboratory accreditation)
Then Bryan and I tried the B-Free Chair Product which is the new patented invention by B-Free Tech Ltd.
Dr. Nigel Croft (Chairman, ISO Technical Subcommittee on Quality Systems (ISO/TC176/SC2)) is our guest speaker and he would provide insights into what changes Will Be and Why. In the beginning, Dr. Croft briefed ISO background and mentioned Dr. W. Edwards Deming questioned “By What Method to achieve the aim?”
Then Dr. Croft stated his 3 core concepts below:
1. Identify the processes needed to achieve the planned results
2. Continually monitor the risks (Risk-based Thinking)
3. Manage the processes and the system using “PDCA”
He told us a joke about PDCA to be “Please Don’t Check Anything”.
After that he explained the Generic Process through Plan-Do-Check-Act for different aspects included Quality, Environment, Safety, Social and Energy.
One of major change of all ISO standards was followed a new ISO Directive Part 1:2012 “Annex SL” which was significant impact on revisions of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. The high level structure was shown as follows.
During the break, HKSQ exco team took a photo with Dr. Nigel Croft.
(Left: Mr. SW Lam, I, Mr. Simon Tong, Dr. Nigel Croft, Mr. Karson Chui and Ms. Angela Wong)
It is our new hall in Science Park Phase 3 and capacity is upto 750.
Dr. Nigel Croft introduced what to expect in ISO 9001:2015. He said “Certification to ISO 9001” should be a result of a well-implemented quality management system but not just “certification”.
The timeframe of ISO 9001:2015 was shown in the following diagram. The FDIS would be issued in Apr 2015 and expected the new standard published in Sep 2015. Then Dr. Croft briefed the key objectives for ISO 9001:2015 included to apply Annex SL of ISO Directives to enhance compatibility and alignment with other ISO management system standards. Dr. Croft also said QMS principles was reviewed by joint SC1/SC2 Task Group which was led by Prof. Y. Iizuka (Deming prize winner). New 7 Quality Management Principles included “Customer Focus”, “Leadership”, “Engagement of People”, “Process Approach”, “Improvement”, “Evidence-based Decision Making” and “Relationship Management”.
Some changes in DIS of ISO 9001 were showed below.
- Align with Annex SL
- Using “Products and service” rather than “Product”
- “External provision of products and service” instead of “Purchasing”
- “Documented information” instead of “Documented procedures and records”
- Clause 4.1 “Context of the Organization”
- Identification of “Interested Parties”
- “Actions to address risk & opportunities”
- Organizational knowledge
- “Improving products and services to meet known and predicted requirements”
- Elimination of the term “Preventive action”
- Elimination of A “Quality Manual” and A “Management Representative”
And the overall structure and model of ISO 9001:2015 were demonstrated using PDCA cycle.
Dr. Nigel Croft introduced what to expect in ISO 14001:2015. It also based on “Annex SL structure”. Some key changes were discussed below.
- Context of the organization
- Interested parties
- “Risk & Opportunities”
- Reinforced requirements for Leadership
- Need to integrate EMS into business operations
- “Documented information”
- Address “Processes and their interactions”
- “Compliance obligations”
- Policy included “Other specific commitment(s)”
- Environmental aspects to include Life-Cycle perspective
- And the model of ISO 14001:2015 was demonstrated using PDCA cycle.
Finally, Dr. Croft said 3-year transition period we had for new standards. Both ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 were undergoing a major revision such as “Process Approach + PDCA + Risk-based thinking”. He asked us to prepare for the transition now.
(Left: Mr. SW Lam, Ms. Angela Wong, Mr. Simon Tong, Mr. PC Chan, Mr. Humphrey Lee (Former Vice-Chairman) and Mr. Karson Chui)
I met Mr. Thomson Wong (General Manager/Principal Consultant, BPI Consultants International Limited) and took a photo. We had cooperated in EPA Centre, CityU when he was in TQM Consultants Co., Ltd.
We then had lunch in Science Park.
HKSTPC - http://www.hkstp.org/en-US/Homepage.aspx
HKQAA - http://www.hkqaa.org
HKSQ - http://www.hksq.org/