2019年12月14日星期六

Remember My Teacher Dr. CN Ng (Associate Professor, Dept. of Geography, HKU; Lecturer, City Polytechnic of Hong Kong)

Today, I received a sad news from MingPao that Dr. CN Ng passed away on 13th Dec 2019 because of stroke.  I expressed hearty condolences to Dr. CN Ng's family, friends and colleagues.  Dr. CN Ng (Associate Professor, Dept. of Geography, HKU) is my final year project supervisor of HD in Applied Science (AP) in City Polytechnic of Hong Kong in 1992, and my external examiner for MPhil in Chemistry (BCH) in City University of Hong Kong in 1997.  We met again in the AP 25th Anniversary Homecoming on 22nd Nov 2014.


I remembered that Dr. CN Ng had taught me about air pollution and then I followed him for my final year project.  (It was pity that I haven’t taken photo with him on that time because he was not in office during ceremony day.)


My Higher Diploma (HD) title named “Time-series Modelling of Air Quality Data from Hong Kong” in which employed recursive least squares algorithm and regression model.  Dr. Ng told me it was very difficult and are you sure to take it? I said I like challenge.


I appreciated Dr. Ng’s guidance and my friends’ technical assistant. I remembered that I used CPU 386 plus a chip 387 to calculate the two parameters for 3 years data of TSP that using about 5 min!


After that I finished my BSc in Applied Physics and continued my study for MPhil in Chemistry (Atmospheric Chemistry).  I followed Dr. Ronald Sequeira in Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong.  Dr. CN Ng and Dr. Ronald Sequeira are good friend.  


During my experiment work in the rural Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre (KARC) to collect aerosol and rainwater sample, Dr. M.R. Peart (Department of Geography and Geology, University of Hong Kong) gave assistant for this research. His nick name was “Water Monster”. Both Dr. MR Peart and Dr. CN Ng are my external examiners.


When I served in society, I met Dr. CN Ng in many activities related to environment and green issue organized by HKQAA below.
The 25th Anniversary Forum & Celebration Cocktail Reception was held on 28th November 2014.


Green Finance Certification Scheme Launching Ceremony cum Seminar on 12th Mar 2018


Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency (HKQAA) Green Finance Certification Scheme Presentation Ceremony cum Forum 2019 on 25th Mar 2019.


HKQAA 30th Anniversary Forum cum Celebration Cocktail Reception on 18th Oct 2019


Dr. CN Ng told me a secret during the AP 25th Anniversary Homecoming that he must remembered me because he got a Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (鼻咽癌) during review of my MPhil thesis as external examiner. He told me that he had miracle several times because of Dr. Ronald’s gift from his sister which was a Mother Teresa prayed lady icon.  I hope Dr. CN Ng rest in peace.

MingPao News on 14th Dec 2019


Reference:
20141128: HKQAA 25th Anniversary Forum & Celebration Cocktail Reception - https://qualityalchemist.blogspot.com/2014/11/hkqaa-25th-anniversary-forum.html
20180312: HKQAA Green Finance Certification Scheme Launching Ceremony cum Seminar - https://qualityalchemist.blogspot.com/2018/03/hkqaa-green-finance-certification.html
20190325: HKQAA Green Finance Certification Scheme Presentation Ceremony cum Forum 2019 - https://qualityalchemist.blogspot.com/2019/03/hkqaa-green-finance-certification.html
20191018: HKQAA 30th Anniversary Forum cum Celebration Cocktail Reception - https://qualityalchemist.blogspot.com/2019/10/hkqaa-30th-anniversary-forum-cum.html

1 則留言:

Quality Alchemist 說...

My MPhil Supervisor knew the sad news and replied:
Dear Dr. Lotto,
Thank you for the news. Very sad indeed. Dr. Tanner also sent me a msg about Dr. Cho-nam. I then read the SCMP news which had further details.
We have all lost a gentle soul, a good friend, and a dedicated Friend of the Earth /Nature in all its goodness. I will be sending you about the secret he told you. That is very true...More in next.
May Cho-nam's soul Rest in Eternal Peace. Mother Teresa must have already met and welcomed him over there !
Pl. say hello to Minda for my wife and me. .
Bye for now and best wishes
- dronald
on 16 Dec 2019

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails