Recently, many surveys about Hong Kong citizen's perspective on HKSAR Chief Executive candidates were performed by different universities. I had already proposed to evaluate HKSAR Chief Executive capability based on Eight Quality Management Principles on 28 Nov 2011 in my blog (at: http://qualityalchemist.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-post.html in Chinese). Then I conducted a survey which based on Quality Professionals' Perception to evaluate the capability of HKSAR Chief Executive (CE) candidates using the Eight Quality Management Principles.
The experiment was designed as follows:
- 8 questions designed in relation to the Eight Quality Principles with seven-point likert scale
- 3 questions for background information collection such as "Position", "Working Experience" and "Industry"
Seven-point likert scale used as follows:
(Capability Level: 7－Very Capable，６－Comparative Capable，５－ Slightly Capable，４－Accepted Capable，３－Slightly Incapable，２－Comparative Incapable，１－Very Incapable)
The 8 questions in accordance with the Eight Quality Principles (code) were shown below:
一、市民為重 (Customer Focus) (CF)
二、領導才能 (Leadership) (LD)
三、全民參與 (Involvement of People) (IP)
四、流程方法 (Process Approach ) (PA)
五、系統管理 (System Approach to Management) (SM)
六、持續改善 (Continual Improvement) (CI)
七、據實決策 (Factual Approach to Decision Making) (FD)
八、互利關係 (Mutually Beneficial Supplier Relationships ) (MS)
The questionnaire was designed to distribute to quality professionals included quality professional association/society members, quality professionals in manufacturing, testing & certification industry, and education institutions, as well as in related government department. It was distributed via email to 1053 professionals. The response rate was about 7% (73 valid reply). The survey period was from 1 to 14 Jan 2012 (within two weeks) and three reminder emails were followed. Before the commencement of survey, CE Primary Pan-Democrats (泛民特首候選人初選) was not performed (It was held on 8 Jan 2012.). Therefore, four candidates were considered in this survey.
HKSAR Chief Executive Candidates 2012 on 1st Jan 2012 were:
- Mr. Henry TANG Ying-yen (唐英年) (HT)
- Mr. LEUNG Chun-ying (梁振英) (CY)
- Mr. Albert HO Chun-yan (何俊仁) (AH)
- Mr. Frederick FUNG Kin-kee (馮檢基) (FF)
The participants' background information were shown as follows:
1) Top Management (e.g. CEO/VP/Director/Professor/GM) 14 (19.2%)
2) Senior Management (e.g. Sr. Manager/Manager/Consultant) 38 (52.1%)
3) Middle Management (e.g. Sr. Engineer/Teacher/Auditor) 9 (12.3%)
4) Technical Staff (e.g. Engineer) 11 (11.5%)
5) Front Line Staff (e.g. Technician) 1 (1.4%)
The Top and Senor Management was 71.3% (~71%).
Working Experience (WkEx):
1) 0yr to 5yr 5 (6.8%)
2) 6yr to 10yr 8 (11.0%)
3) 11yr to 20yr 23 (31.5%)
4) Above 20yr 37 (50.7%)
Participants had more than 10 years working experience was 82.2% (~82%).
1) 服務業 (Service) 22 (30.1%)
2) 製造業 (Manufacturing) 29 (39.7%)
3) 金融業 (Finance) 2 (2.7%)
4) 地產業 (Land/Construction) 2 (2.7%)
5) 政府部門 / 非營利的 (Gov/Non-profit / University) 18 (24.7%)
Service, Manufacturing and Government/Non-profit/Univerity was about 94.5% (~95%).
The 8 capability survey results based on quality management principles would be analysized by using different statistical methods in "Survey Result and Analysis" and would be issued.
ISO 9000:2000 - Quality management systems -- Fundamentals and vocabulary