Mr. KT Ting (General Manager, Market Research Business, HKQAA) introduced the background of the BFA Management System and briefed BFA became a global trend in the development of big cities. Mr. Ting explained why BFA so important in our company. There were four dimensions to be considered including 1) Meaning, 2) Need, 3) Method and 4) Consequence if not perform.
He said there were over 363,000 persons with one or more than one type of disability and the number of people aged 65 years and above was 980,300 in 2013. Moreover, China including Hong Kong entered the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities on 31 August 2008. The following diagram showed the Accessibility for the Disabled - A Design Manual for a Barrier Free Environment.
- Building (Planning) Regulations (Cap. 123F) - Buildings to be planned for use by persons with a disability
BFA another meaning were showed below.
- Better awareness of corporate social responsbility
- First step to improve Barrier Free Accessibility performance
- Advocate tripartite participation.
1) Vision Impairment
2) Hearing Impairment
4) Mobility Impairments
The following diagrams showed some common BFA facilities in shopping malls, public transportation
Part B was Management System Assessment which included the following items:
1) Barrier Free Accessibility (BFA) Policy
2) BFA Performance Objectives
3) BFA Management Plans
4) Operational Control
5) Awareness throughout the organization
6) Monitoring and Measurement
7) Management Review, Improvement action and Change
Finally, Mr. Ting introduced the Pilot scheme of BFA MS certification and HKQAA BFA MS Certfication Handbook (issue 1) published on 18 February 2013.
After attended this seminar, I would like to response four dimensions suggested by Mr. Ting.
1) Meaning (Demonstrate Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability; Increase employment of people with disabilities as social enterprise (e.g. HKQAA))
2) Need (Legal requirement and Global Trend)
3) Method (BFA MS Certification and Pilot Scheme) and
4) Consequence if not perform (Risk of discrimination claim)
HKQAA - http://www.hkqaa.org
HKQAA Starts Pilot Scheme of Barrier Free Accessibility (BFA) Management System Certification - http://www.hkqaa.org/cmsimg/1364465376BFA%20launch.pdf