Dr. Catherine Chan (President, HKQFDA) gave an introduction of QFD. QFD had been developed since 1960. It aimed to complete a quality system from design to product.
She introduced her teacher Prof. Yoji Akao and quoted his statement about the way QFD works.
Then she discussed the core elements of the Quality Table.
1. The left hand side table named "Demanded Quality Deployment Table" and used to extract, organize and work out the degree of importance for qualities that demanded by customers.
2. Then it convert demanded qualities into quality items (PUSH) and then organize into quality elements (See middle upper rectangular table in purple color). It called "Quality Element Deployment Table".
3. Determine degree of correlation between each pair of demanded quality and quality element in Quality Chart (See middle center table)
4. Analyze performance and formulate strategy in the Quality Planning Table (See right hand side table)
5. The triangle was Roof which used to review the degree of contradiction between quality elements.
6. The ranking of each quality elements were shown at the end of the table (In green color row under Quality Chart (no. 3)) used to identify the importance on each quality element.
The deployment of HOQs could be in different directions. It was not necessary to follow the sequence: Phase 1 - Conceive, Phase 2 - Develop, Phase 3 - Manufacture and Phase 4 - Deliver.
Catherine said there were two strategies for quality planning of QFD. They were Quality Level and Selling Tactics. If the planned quality level is 5 (high level), but the satisfaction with company's performance was 3 (ranked by customer). The calculated improvement rate should be 5/3 = 1.67. The allocated Sales Points would be either 1.5 or 1.2. (Why 1.5 or 1.2, Catherine quoted Prof. Akao that was his experience.) Overall weight of each demanded quality formula was shown as follow.
Dr. Albert Tsang (Former Chairman, HKSQ) presented souvenir to Dr. Catherine Chan.
HKSQ - www.hksq.org
Hong Kong Quality Function Deployment Association (HKQFDA) - http://www.qfdhk.org/
Previous QFD Seminar series:
Seminar I on "Quality Function Deployment (QFD)" - http://qualityalchemist.blogspot.hk/2011/08/seminar-on-quality-function-deployment.html
Seminar II on "Voice of Customer" through QFD - http://qualityalchemist.blogspot.hk/2011/12/seminar-on-voice-of-customer-through.html